Virtual reality basically is a computer generated replica of an environment or an image. This technology works in a way in which the real and virtually created worlds interact. This interaction thus takes the user to another virtually created world or dimension that is far from the real world.
Though VR has its own pros and cons there are companies that have been using VR for marketing and other purposes successfully. These companies are:
Toms is a shoe company that used VR in its marketing. They started a campaign in which they give away a pair of shoes for every purchase. This giving away is through their VR tool that allows the customers to have a virtual trip to Peru to give that pair of shoes to someone in need. It is an excellent emotional marketing strategy using Virtual Reality.
See how it works: https://youtu.be/NmYKrwEX9Mk
- Volvo Xc90 Test Drive:
Volvo has introduced a test drive for those who do not have a dealership nearby, using virtual reality. It’s an exceptional marketing move for a brand like Volvo to use Virtual Reality in a way that nobody else has used before.
See how it works: https://youtu.be/q-4_3eE1TVk
Augmented Reality is the add-on of digital images or sounds in the already existing physical reality or the real world. This technology is also used by big companies globally for marketing purposes.
Some of these companies are:
- Wonder Games:
An initiative for the special or differently-able children to enhance their motor, cognitive and educational skills taken by us at Wonder Tree using Augmented Reality. These games are created in collaboration with child psychologists and developers to give the kids the best learning experience.
See how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDbqSg8t5U8
- Nintendo’s Pokemon Go App:
The biggest hit and success of 2016 is the best example of a successful implementation of Augmented Reality. This game used Augmented Reality for the users to catch their favorite pokemon that are superimposed on the real surfaces of the physical world.
See how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQY8cnC_Yc
The more attractive of these two, VR or AR, maybe the Augmented Reality because of the following reasons.
- Augmented Reality is something that doesn’t require certain expensive tools or technologies and can be used with smartphones, unlike Virtual Reality which needs particular headsets, gloves or glasses to be used.
- Augmented Reality gives you the chance to stay connected to your real physical world and have the best experience whereas Virtual reality takes you away from the real world.
- As it is clear, Augmented Reality is much cheaper than Virtual Reality which automatically makes it more attractive than the other.
- Augmented Reality is far less time and effort-consuming than Virtual Reality, which requires a lot of time, and effort, and helps to get the users immersed in it.
- Augmented Reality is more inclined toward reality than Virtual Reality because while experiencing Virtual reality it’s sometimes hard to forget that you aren’t in the real world with all those tools fixed either on your head, eyes, or hands.